Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Donation Fund Finds Zero






Well I knew we were getting close but the time has come to report that the Paul Williams donation bank account has hit zero.

Once a year I pay an elder law attorney, a kind man who gives me a cut rate, about a thousand bucks to help us keep Paul on his special Medi-Cal program. Once a year Medi-Cal asks us to prove that Paul is worthy, eligible for their care. Proof that he truly does need to be cared for in a nursing home. And that he, and we, can't afford to foot that bill.

So I gather latest bank account statements, and work pay stubs, and title to our car and send them in to the attorney who fills out the endless paper work, questions that were answered exactly the same for the last 3 years.

So what do people do who don't hire an attorney? They must be hyper vigilant about getting it all done and in on time (if you're late the game is over and you lose). Last year Medi-Cal rejected Paul's request for continuing care and we had to start the process all over again. I was very thankful to have the attorney helping me on that.

It's worth it, getting the help. Like paying for a mechanic to fix your motor. Sure you could probably do it, but do you have the time, the patience, the knowledge and the tools to make it work.

I look at things as projects. You know how your teacher in seventh grade would say: "okay class you need to pick a project about ancient history and it is due in two weeks". I liked projects; when I knew I could be creative with them. I was never the kid that laid out all the facts with bullet points. I'd write a song or a play about it, and then other kids would copy me (on the play anyways; it was called Pompeiino: ABoy, and it had a song in it about the volcano erupting and destroying the Roman city of Pompeii).

Moving papers around, collecting evidence and organizing it, is not my strong suite. So I suppose it's okay to spend that last thousand bucks on making sure Paul can stay in his nursing home for another year.

At least that's what I tell myself, now, as I make out the check.

If you'd like to find out more about Paul Williams and/or donate to his continuing care here is a link ( a lovely site put together by a team of Paul's dear friends three years ago): 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Cindy.. Your fortitude is a beacon through the stormclouds. Much love! DCK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Dave Gill and those organizing the 2012 PKD Festival are intent on gathering a substantial donation this time. I will remain diligent in reminding them, and I know it's always on Dave Hyde's mind, as well. Keep us posted on the financial status, as you have here. Per all my other posts, our thoughts (and hopefully some money where are mouths are) are with you!! Blessings and Namaste!!

    ReplyDelete